Friday, April 04, 2014

Smile 4/100 Regrowth

We had a very weird winter here. We got about 9 inches of snow at the beginning of December and then the temps dropped and stayed low, so the snow stayed on the ground and then we hit the single digits. So in a way, we had this massive winter in the matter of 10 days...it was completely abnormal.

So during that time, some things that would normally be fine in the winter here, just didn't have what it took to survive. Everything we lost was planted in pots, but I have seen a lot of landscaping that was in the ground around town being taken out.

Normally as far as my herbs go, we lose the basil every winter but everything else comes back, even if it just dies back for the winter. This year, I lost a rosemary, two lavendars, two sage, an oregano, a possibly a thyme.

So while at the growers market the other day, I picked up 7 replacement herbs...no basil yet as it is too cold for it. I didn't lose either of my two mints or the chives, but I couldn't resist getting a chocolate mint because it sounds like it would make great tea. I also got a pineapple sage, a common thyme, a lemon thyme, a rosemary, a variated oregano, and a hot and spicy oregano. I already replaced one of the lavendars but I still need to get another soon.

Getting these new little herbs makes me smile though, at least it is a start! I took this picture in our kitchen with my Fuji Finepix f50 with macro turned on but no flash. I edited it in GIMP 2.6 for color, light and then added the fuzzy border.
____________________________

Six Years Ago on In My Words...Flowers

No comments: