Sunday, July 17, 2005

Swing of Things

I have finally come into my swing in golf (I am sure a pro would tell me there are a million things wrong with it) and I played my best round yet today. I don't know exactly how it happened (I have never had lessons) but lately, I have just been able to hit the ball pretty consistently. This allows me to focus on other aspects of the game and today, that paid off.

I have never really had the "competitive" drive like some players. I am usually pretty content to just hit the ball okay, and make my way through a beautiful afternoon in the peaceful outdoors, but hitting well, makes the game that much more enjoyable, let me tell you. I don't really care about "beating anyone" or what my final score ends up to be, but I do not like finding my ball in the woods or losing my ball to water hazards. So, consistently hitting better overall improves the game for me.

I have also found that confidence in my abilities directly affects how well I play. Expecting a good hit, rather than being surprised by it seems to make me less nervous when others are watching me play, and less anxious about the various hazards I might come across in the course of the game. I like knowing when I tee up that I am probably going to hit it in the direction and for the length that I want to, rather than leaving it up to chance...haha.

Anyhow, I had a lot of fun today with my new found abilities and I played much better than I expected and I am a little surprised at how nice it made me feel (although I shouldn't be surprised because I always feel awesome after soccer if I play well). I would recommend a round of golf to everyone, even if you have never played before. It is a great way to get some exercise, breathe some fresh air and enjoy the outdoors if nothing else.

No comments: