Thursday, July 21, 2005

Green Anole (aka American Chameleon)

Green Anole in the middle eating insects as they land on the flowers, and boy was he busy.
I found this lizard (look really close or you won't see him) in my holly bush this spring while trying to photograph the holly flowers for my mother. I didn't know what it was at the time.

I see them all the time around our house these days, and just now I interupted one trying to court (get your mind out of the gutter, there was no sex going on) a female. The female was a browner color, while the male was just like the pics on the title link above. The thing that was really cool was that the male was doing this bobbing up and down thing (part of the courting ritual), and the female was answering with her own bobs...but the male also had this "throat fan" that would pop out after 5 or so bobs...kind of cool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds pretty darn romantic to me!!!

Mind Sprite said...

Awww, lizard love is in the air!