Saturday, October 08, 2005

Nascar Education

Not my photo but it looked just like this one.
Yesterday, while on my way to grocery shopping I noticed that there was a race car (kind of hard to miss) sitting in front of the store. It was Bobby Hamilton Jr's Tide car.

I went to check the car out, and since it was Friday, there weren't a lot of people around. There was a guy sitting there "babysitting" it to make sure people didn't climb in or on it. He as also giving away free hats and die cast cars to purchasers of Tide or Downy products.

I struck up a conversation with him, and learned a ton about racing that I would have otherwise never known as a regular fan. I talked to him for about 45 minutes and it was great. He has been working with Nascar for 28 years. The car in question was retired in March of this year and will be sold at the annual Lowe's Blowout.

He ended up moving it back to the trailer later while I was in the store. I am sorry I missed it because I would love to hear one of those things running up close like that. He said he couldn't rev it up when he drove it up because he was afraid it would break the store's front glass.

My favorite driver is Mark Martin but he is retiring this year so I will have to find someone new. I think I am going to switch over to the driver of the car that Mark owns (Matt Kenseth #17), and probably will continue to own next year.

3 comments:

Randi said...

GREEEEEEEEN with envy!!

... said...

We wanted to try to get to a race this year...being that we are in race country but I don't know if we are going to be able to swing it...we'll see. J has been to one before but I haven't.

Mind Sprite said...

My ex was a Nascar fanatic and I know more about it than I ever wanted to. But Mark Martin was always my favorite. He was tough and fair and an all-around nice guy by all accounts!