Friday, March 14, 2014

POTD Day 14 Care

This is one way I care for our computer systems and the memories we want to keep that are stored digitally.  I highly recommend a regular back up schedule for everyone. I probably go a bit overboard on ours but since all of our backups are on mechanical drives, I feel that doubling up might be prudent.

So because I use the laptop the most and that is where I process all new images, I do the following: an auto Windows update of all the data and image files onto an external harddrive, 2 manual copies on external different harddrives of all the same files, 1 manual copy of all the images/videos on another external hardrive. I do the same thing with the PC except not as a frequently because the PC data and images are not changed much.

I used to burn DVDs for backup, but it just seemed like I was going through tons of DVDs and the externals are portable and pretty easy to use.

I took this picture as a snip of my screen while in the backup/restore area of the control panel on my laptop. I edited it in GIMP 2.6 to add the fuzzy border.
____________________________

Four Years Ago on In My Words...PC Rebuild Part Two

No comments: