Monday, May 12, 2008

Naha Harii

May 5th is Children's Day in Japan. It is marks one of the holidays that all fall during Golden Week (one of the biggest holiday seasons in Japan). It is also the traditional date of the Naha Harii (Naha Dragonboat Races).

I competed in the races for 3 years when we were living here before. I always enjoyed being a part of the culture and the experience that comes with it. It was a lot of fun. Twice now I have gone to the races as a spectator and experienced the festival side of the event. It also is a lot of fun.

This year, I went with a few friends down to the port. The weather was not terrific but while we were there, the rain stayed away and we were able to watch some of the races and get some festival food without getting soaked.

I'll probably blog a bit more about this in detail on my travel blog when I get a chance but I did take the opportunity while I was there to take some pictures and I wanted to post a couple of the ones I liked the best.

____________________

One Year Ago on In My Words...Mom Visit Update II

3 comments:

Chicken said...

That sounds like a lot of fun!

Girl said...

Looks cool.

... said...

It is a lot of fun, both being there and being on a team and racing.