Tuesday, April 01, 2008

What Was the IOC Thinking?

These stories are making me so sad....the three YouTube videos (one program) are somewhat sensationalized but that doesn't take away from the fact that there are serious problems in China right now and the fact that all eyes will be on them is not going to be easy for their government to deal with....seems though, that they are not choosing to deal with it in a good way...instead they decide to demolish homes and hope that all the the sad or poor people will just not be seen rather than trying to actually fix things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6hwhDnlNUY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVtdzVPCvCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMBFCr673H4

I saw a segment on NBC Nightly News tonight that made me cry. They were destroying some of the ancient areas of the city (note these are historic areas as well) and those that were displaced were crying. There was an elderly man in a wheelchair with tears in his eyes and it just made my heart break. The stats stated that 13,000 people were being diplaced per day and that the number is expected to be 1.5 million by August of this year.

I just don't understand why they have to do this. It makes me not want to watch the Olympics this summer.

1 comment:

Haha said...

I won't be just to protest what they are doing in TIBET! I know we should not let the Olympics be a political venue - but it is one time when the whole world's attention is gathered together. China has a long way to go on human rights issues as far as I am concerned.