Saturday, December 07, 2013

POTD Day 7 Six O'Clock

This is what I was doing at 6 o'clock. Eating kwiteow that I made yesterday. I learned to make it from both a Thai friend and a Vietnamese friend (it is called pho in Vietnamese). When we lived in Japan, I would have soup days at our house. I would make a big batch of soup and then invite friends to come over for lunch or dinner (or both) for two or more days.

The broth is the part that takes the longest but after that, it is just a matter of fresh veggies, rehydrated rice stick, and thin sliced meat. Everything but the broth is cooked right at the moment a bowl of soup is being made, which makes it taste so good and fresh.

Yesterday, with the snow falling, I had the hankering for it and I knew I had most of the ingredients already. I used beef short ribs and spices to create the beef stock, and started them boiling after lunch. Then when I walked to the store in the snow, I got the fresh ingredients I was missing. I ended up eating two small bowls for dinner.

Then today after my hike in the snow, I got the pot back out of the fridge and back on the stove so I could eat it for lunch and dinner. Lunch was a little bit late since I got home from the hike around 1pm but then I  had a second bowl at 6pm for dinner.

I don't feel a bit of guilt eating this awesome dish. Only thing that would have made it better would have been if I had thought to make some Thai tea to go along with it...but with the cold weather, I don't usually think of iced tea.

I took this picture with my Fuji Finepix F50 without a flash, and macro turned on. I edited it in GIMP 2.6 with auto correct for color and light and then added a fuzzy border.
_________________________

Last Year on In My Words...MCP Project April

No comments: