Monday, December 09, 2013

POTD Day 9 This Is The Weather Today

Our weather has been basically the same since Friday night when we got about 8 inches of snow on the ground. We have not gotten above freezing since then so the snow has hung around but the areas that were plowed or shoveled are now sheets of ice. The last two nights have been record lows for the area for the last 25 years.

I went up to the pool this morning to check it out (and to turn the light in the pump house to 24 hours) and found that the majority of the pool is frozen over. This is not a bad thing...as long as the water below the ice is still circulating, it will be fine and the corner where the water comes into the pool isn't frozen because of the movement there.

I even bent down and knocked on the ice and it is pretty solid...so this picture is of one of the ice crystals sitting on the surface. It was too cool looking to ignore. We should be getting above freezing tomorrow during the day so I am sure we will start to see some melt by then.

I have been limited in movement to those places near by that I can get to on foot...I have no desire to get our truck wrecked by someone that is driving recklessly. Many drivers seem to think that because the sun is out and the snow has stopped, that it is safe to drive however you want...and that is not the case. We get black ice really bad here and right now there is a ton of it. It is almost impossible to see (especially at night). I haven't had anywhere that I needed to go that wasn't in walking distance so it hasn't been a big deal for me. We have restaurants and stores all within walking distance.

I took this picture with my Fuji Finepix f50, no flash, and with macro turned on. I then edited it in GIMP 2.6 by cropping it to just the crystal, auto correcting for light and color and then added the fuzzy border.
________________________

Last Year on In My Words...MCP Project March

No comments: