Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Itches

I remember in high school laughing to myself at this conversation that was going on near me. One student was telling the other that there was definitely a right and wrong way to put toilet paper on the roll. The paper was supposed to come over the top.

I thought this was hilarious for two reasons: one, that two high school students would even be discussing it, and two, that it even mattered to anyone...

Several years later, I will take the time to switch the roll if it is not put on in a particular direction...I don't think I cared until a few years ago when we lived in Japan and it really did matter which way it went and now it is just habit to do...

Update--------------------
For those that are curious, the reason it matters in Japan is because most tp dispensers are like the ones below. They are made of metal or plastic and have a little cap that sits on the paper. You pull the paper and when you want to stop the spin, you press on the cap and use the edge to tear the paper....it doesn't work if you put the paper in the other way around.



Note: Pics are not mine, just stole them from the Internet to give you an idea of what the dispensers look like. These are two different bathrooms....

8 comments:

Chicken said...

When I was maid they always wanted the paper to go over the top. I guess they thought it looked better and I noticed at seemed to rip off easier.

Girl said...

Does it go over or under in Japan? And why??

jj said...

Like JaG said. Why does it matter in Japan? Is it because the gravity is different in the far east?

... said...

No gravity issues...it just the way that their holders are with a little cap that you hold down to tear the toilet paper. It doesn't work if you put it with the paper coming down the back.

See update

jj said...

Ah. I see. In the UK, we employ people to sit in the room with you, and to tear off sheets as you need them and hand them to you. We have very low unemployment.....

... said...

In Oregon, people pump your gas so I guess it is almost the same thing...haha.

kilgorsky said...

The other day my wife was watching a TV show were two women listed reasons why couples fight. They talked a lof of BS, and brough up the toilet paper issue too.

There has to be something wrong with people who argue over stuff like that. But then again, looking from the outside any reason may seem stupid.

kilgorsky said...

Just reread my comment, ignore it, please. It's even stupider than the show my wife saw.