Sunday, April 10, 2005

Dogwood

Our dogwood is finally blooming...it is of the pinkish orange variety. It is very beautiful and it is not even in complete bloom yet. I hope to get some pictures when it finally gets there.

I have also discovered that we have several smaller dogwoods of the white variety in the yard but didn't see until the blooms came out. It is nice to see spring here in full force, even the oak trees are getting their leaves now.

I don't think I mentioned this before but we have several holly bushes in our yard (mostly near the front windows of the house). They are in bloom also, and the flowers are small and greenish so they don't really stand out but they smell terrific. I never knew holly bushes had such a aromatic flower. The bees are just loving it.

Oh, and we have a vine called Kudzu that grows all over the place here and it is in bloom too. It has a purple flower that is really pretty. I need to get some pictures of it because their aren't any good ones on the Internet that show it hanging in bloom.

Anyhow, that is my flower update. I wish I could bottle that holly flower smell, it is truly remarkable.

6 comments:

SJ said...

Isn't it great the way smells can take you to a very specific time and place, even if it's on the other side of the world and years away?

Charlie Lee said...

Studies have shown that the sense of smell is the strongest of the six senses (if you count ESP).

Joanne said...

Um, you do know Kudzu is bad... very bad and will eat up your entire yard if not hacked at regularly, right? When I visited my sister in South Carolina, we saw this entire field just covered in layers and layers of Kudzu. It is very aggressive and hard to kill. And I believe if you finally do get rid of it, it has leeched the soil of anything useful. A rather interesting site about kudzu.

Joanne said...

Ok I feel compelled to comment again because I found a site that says it is actually good for the soil. BUT it does grow a foot a day...

Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

I have lots of lilacs and roses around here, but none of variety you boast of. Color me jealous. Slightly. I could do without the pollen.

... said...

Ian and Charlie- I love the way that smells can help you time travel, and I do believe you are right about smell being the strongest for recognition.

Joanne- Yes, I know the Kudzu is not good, fortunately it is not growing in my yard. In this area it is mostly in areas that are not lived in. I found out yesterday while photographing it, that it also smells terrific. Apparently it was brought here originally to fight erosion but now it is more negative than positive. According to a website I found, it procreates when it is hacked apart...

BRFA- Lilacs and roses are some of the best summer smells there are. I am curious to find out if lilacs can live around here, if so, I am planting some near a window so I can smell them whenever they are in bloom.