Sunday, November 21, 2010

Day 9: Someone You Didn't Want To Let Go Of But Just Drifted Away From

This is an interesting one. I have always had a hang up about drifting away from people and a lot of guilt when it does happen. Reality is that there are only a few people in anyone's life that remain a part of it for the length of it. Generally this is family (but not in all cases) and the closest of friends.

I have been very lucky to have some very good friends in my life that have filled the "family" requirement for me when my family has been far away (distance-wise). Those friends will be my friends forever even if we don't talk for ages. I know that they feel the same way about me.

I do have a couple of close friends that I had in high school, that I desperately tried to stay connected with after we all went our separate ways and I have managed to really only stay in contact with one of them. We will continue to be friends until the end of time even though we rarely get to see each other. I felt a lot a guilt when I felt the others slipping away but this is mostly because I assumed it was all my fault. Truth is that it takes two to maintain a relationship and all the effort can't be on one side. So while some of the fault is mine, not all of it is.

The same thing happened in college. I really only have one or two people that am close to from my undergraduate years even though I had a lot of friends, teammates, and sorority sisters at the time. As our lives went in different directions, we drifted apart and other people came into our lives. This is normal...and I have learned to not put so much on myself about this anymore.

_______________________

Two Years Ago on In My Words...Walmart Tramplers

No comments: