Friday, April 12, 2013

The Arts

This area has a lot to offer. We have a major arts attraction, a ski resort, many lakes, mountains and rivers and several colleges. This means that the population is diverse and active on many different levels. While I did go to college here for my first year, I was rarely able to take advantage of the arts or the ski resort while growing up. We just didn't have the money for those kinds of things when I was a kid. I think I saw one play the entire time I was growing up and it was a field trip from the high school.

Fast forward to today. My uncle works for the major arts attraction. He has always offered to get anyone of us in the family comp'd tickets to plays when they are available. I was able to see a play a few years ago when visiting here with my sister and it was great fun. I had forgotten how much I really like plays and musicals.

Anyhow, a few weeks ago, I had seen a review of a current play and decided to let my uncle know I was interested in seeing it and anything else he could get me tickets for this season. I didn't know if it would work out or not, but I figured I better just put it out there.

He called me within the week with tickets for two plays that same weekend (both of the ones I really wanted to see) and then the following week, he had four preview tickets for another play. So after living in this area for my entire childhood and only seeing one play, I have now seen 4 plays in the last two years, and hope to see even more.

I will write up my experiences for the individual plays in separate posts.
__________________________

Two Years Ago on In My Words...Strange Gym People

No comments: