Saturday, January 12, 2013

Why I Love Kinsey Millhone

From G is for Gumshoe by Sue Grafton:

"What really bugged me was the suspicion that nobody would have even suggested that a boy detective do likewise. I didn't want to see that old lady again. While I admired her spunk, I didn't want to be in charge of her. I had my own ass to worry about. Why does everybody assume women are so nurturing? My maternal instincts were extinguished by my Betsy Wetsy doll. Every time she peed in her little flannel diddies, I could feel my temper climb. I quit feeding her and that cured it, but it did make me wonder, even at the age of six, how suited I was for motherhood."

This segment set me into fits of laughter while in a hot bathtub reading it. I just love the character Grafton has created here and she just gets better and better.
____________________________

 Seven Years Ago on In My Words...One Of My Best Rants

No comments: