Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Backdated Thursday Thanks

Continuing project...this week's thanks are:

I know...this is late, but late is better than not posting it at all...things have gotten a lot more busy around here, and I still feel like I am not getting enough done but that is for another post I presume.

Anyhow, I am thankful for the fathers in my life. I figure with this being Father's Day week, this would be appropriate. I know that most people only think of one person as their father, and I probably do buy more Father's Day cards than anyone I know but I like to take this holiday as a way to thank all the father's in my life for what they do.

Okay, first off there was my biological father. We didn't have the closest relationship but I do have to thank him for contributing to my creation and then for not interferring too much in my life afterwards. I know this sounds cold but in reality, I am better off for not having grown up with him. There is just not a better way to say that. We did have our moments and there are plenty of traits that I attribute to him and I would thank him for the good ones if he was around to thank. I wish we would have had a better relationship but I don't know that I could have done much to fix that on my own.

Now, there is my Dad....the one, the man of my life for the longest time. My dad is awesome...as I am sure you can tell from my many postings about him (go ahead, you can search and find him all over this place). Regardless of genes, he is one of the two most influencial people in my life and has a direct connection to the person I have turned out to be. I have posted about him before on Thursday Thanks so I won't go into much more on this subject, but my dad rocks....just so you know.

Next there are the grandpas....yes, plurals work here. There was Grandpa Jolly, who died way to early for my taste but I remember as a lot of fun and smiles. There was Grandpa V who I don't really remember but my mom tells me loved me like crazy. I had two Grandpa's on my dad's side who I don't remember at all. There was Grandpa Les who was absolutely the closest thing to a teddy bear that you can find in a person. I loved him so much. He was the first of the ones I was really close to that died. There was Grandpa P on J's side of the family who I only saw on occasion because he lived on the East Coast but I stayed in constant snail mail contact with. He just passed recently. I currently have Grandpa B in Oregon who is going to be 97 this September and Grandpa D in Nebraska (J's Gpa) who we play golf with everytime we see. I love these men, they have all had an impact on my life and I am thankful everyday for having had them touch my life in so many ways.

Lastly, there are the new "father's" in my life. These would include the father in laws (yes, two of them since J's mom is remarried) and my step father D who is married to my mom. These guys are awesome and add so much to my life. I love them all for the individual things they contribute. I enjoy including them in our Father's Day celebrations because even without me, they are all dads in their own right, and I just like to acknowledge that.

So as you can see, I have a lot to celebrate on this Thursday before Father's Day.....not a bad holiday at all.

________________________

One Year Ago on In My Words....Coming Along

1 comment:

Haha said...

You have had many great men in your life, they helped you pick the great man in your life too!