Thursday, October 12, 2006

Flying Observations

Okay...again, I can't stand cell phone users on planes. I don't understand why people feel the necessity to talk to someone the second before take off and the second after landing...I mean, give me a break. As soon as phones can be turned on, you hear all these conversations start up or phones start ringing...no one needs to talk on the phone that much.

There was one guy in particular that I found completely hilarious. I think he wanted to impress all of us with his technology. He had a blackberry like thing strapped to his hip, a cell phone, and a laptop, which he managed to use right up until take off. During the flight, he kept using the blackberry like thing with a headphone and I am almost positive at one point when he went to the restroom, it was to use the phone. They will need to put in cell phone detectors in the bathrooms too. He kept taking out his technology to make sure that everyone saw it...he was so pleased with himself. I just laughed.

What is really funny is that some would consider me to be a techno geek...I mean I do have two computers that are networked in my house and I use them pretty much the entire time I am awake and home...not to mention the fact that I am finishing up a degree in computers this fall.

Unfortunately, I don't buy into the whole handheld bit. Reading email on a 2 by 1 screen doesn't sound like fun regardless of the set up of the keyboard. Taking crappy little pictures on a cell phone or using it for MP3s also doesn't grab me. I love my Ipod, and my digital camera, I don't need them in a cellphone, for that matter, I don't need a cell phone. Yes, there are times when it would be convenient but not enough for me to bother with @sshole companies that want an arm and a leg to lock you into crappy service for 2 years.

Anyhow, I have gotten away from my original thoughts....I find airports and planes amazing places to people watch and people never fail to amuse me.

4 comments:

Haha said...

I agree it is so sad that people think they have to be "connected" to "some thing" all the time. They no longer know how to just "rest with their own thoughts" or read a book, write a letter the old-fashioned way in place of tapping at some keyboard. It is actually hard for me to go to my computer at home after working at one all day long. I finally broke down and got a cell phone (the pay as you go kind)as I have a country commute to my work everyday and I think I have used it twice. It is reasonable and easy to use. I love technology, but it has its place in my life and doesn't rule my life.

Anonymous said...

I feel the same about cell's. At times it might be convenient but I don't need it. Plus I like the fact that I am not available to everyone and their dog all the time.

I do love the people watching at the airport. I always have a book with me but I use it as a decoy while I peer around.

Joanne said...

I just hope they don't change the cell phone on plane rule. There was some grumbling for a time that they would. I think I would end up killing someone if they changed it.

... said...

Joanne- I agree...they would have to separate the plane into cell phone and no cell phone sections...