Friday, October 02, 2009

Teaching Preschoolers

For the last two weeks, I have had the priviledge to fill in for my friend at her job teaching preschoolers English on Fridays. It is only one day for less than an hour but it is the best way to start the day, seriously.

There are two classes, one of three year olds and one of four year olds. We teach each class for about 20 minutes. The curriculm involves lots of singing, standing up, dancing, and pointing out letters and numbers on flash cards.

I was a bit nervous the first day on my own (I went the week before with my friend to just see what she did and be introduced to the kids). It is funny how little kids can do that to you but I think I was more afraid that they wouldn't like me.

No problem there...soon enough, you realize that no one else speaks English so if you make up stuff or goof up, no one knows and no one cares. As long as the kids repeat what you say and are smiling at you, you are doing good.

So I boned up on my Old MacDonald and Head, Shoulders Knees and Toes and went for it. It was so much fun.

When we leave the second class, the kids get up and want to high five you and tell you goodbye over and over again. Then when you get out to the yard, if there are kids out there with their teacher, they will stop paying attention to the teacher and shout goodbye to you over and over while waving until you are in your car and driving away.

This last Friday was my friend's first day back but I guess the school thought I might be there so they made this cute little memory board for me with pictures of me teaching the class and the kids drew pictures of me on it as well. It was so cute and now I have this awesome experience to take back with me when I leave here someday.

____________________

Four Years Ago on In My Words...Bug Issues

No comments: